About UsIts beginnings were humble, a small family business in Cleveland's Industrial Flats, on Scranton Road near the Eagle Street lift bridge. Founded in 1918 by the older brothers of Sam Kern, father of the current president of International Power Machinery, the company purchases for resale previously owned power equipment that is used to generate steam and/or electricity.
Before 1941, in addition to the sales force, the company at that time known as National Power Machinery Company also employed about 10 skilled tradesmen to repair and rebuild the inventory of equipment, as well as maintain a warehouse for the machinery. That work force eventually was drafted to serve in World War II. After the war, the company moved its offices downtown and changed its name to reflect the expanding market; today the company Is located in Tower City Center.
Alan L. Kern became president after his fatherís death more than a quarter-century ago. After working his way up through the ranks-beginning as part-time help during his high school and college years where he obtained an engineering degree, and graduating to full-time after his discharge as a lieutenant from the armed forces in 1957.
Through all its phases, International Power Machinery Company, and its headquarter's staff provide services worldwide. Our clients have included corporate giants such as Goodyear Tire & Rubber, Dow Chemical and General Electric as well as municipal clients Painesville, Ohio - Taunton, Massachusetts and Orlando, Florida. We have assisted international clients such as Central Azucarera de Bais of the Philippines, Celulosa de Chihuahua of Mexico, Imperial Oil of Canada and Central Azucarera Portuguesa of Venezuela in successfully locating, purchasing and preparing for shipment equipment that meets their specifications.
We are frequently approached by leasing companies, consulting engineers, banks and utilities to evaluate equipment and prepare appraisals.
The Kern Family hasn't only been dedicated to the family business: they also have been enthusiastic advocates of their community. The late Lester Kern, son of a founding brother, donated a computer lab to his alma mater, Case Western Reserve University. The Family also recently donated a pre-1900 one-half HP generator to the Edison Birthplace Museum in Milan, Ohio, and the Family supports a variety of institutions throughout Greater Cleveland, including the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Cleveland Society for the Blind, and the Great Lakes Science Center.
Cleveland always has been conducive to business success, and the International Power Machinery Company is proud to renew its commitment to the city and its heritage.